Monday, October 26, 2015

Sometimes A Quick Text Is All That Is Necessary.


One of my grandsons, at 24, has a very good job with a major TV network. He has been there three years and done extremely well.  Recently he was offered a three-year contract with the parent network.

I text: “Congratulations! So proud of you!”

Return text: “It’s a great offer. I haven’t accepted it. I’m just not sure yet.”

 Ah. I do not know why he’s not sure but I know this young man. If he has doubts, the causes of those doubts are not frivolous.

I text back: “ I hope you will talk to a few people whom you admire and then trust your instincts. You have your own inner wisdom to call on. Don’t ever forget that! There are no mistakes, only learning. xox”

Return text: “Thanks, Gma!” (That’s me)

Later in the day I find myself  wishing that just once someone in my family or some mentor along the way had said something like that to me: wishing that someone who was important to me had affirmed my ability to make good decisions for myself. I would have grown so much from the impact, the treasure, of their confidence.

Are we instilling confidence in our kids, by helping them to believe in themselves, to believe that they can cope with their life situations? Or, instead, are we just giving them our best solutions so that they end up believing in us and thinking that we are the source of all wisdom rather than themselves?

1 comment:

  1. So, OK--how does it end? (He sounds like a terrific young man!)

    ReplyDelete

Please comment here on Cecily's blog entry...