Monday, January 4, 2016

Taking Care Of Some Stuff

I am going to disappear off the radar for a week or two in order to have cataract and laser corrective surgery. As it is, today--Sunday-- I have begun the eye drop protocol—three different kinds of drops 1-4 times a day—and I have a blurred vision of this screen as I write. I am using a font for first graders, whose vision is far superior to mine, but their books, if not in plot complexity, are perfect viewing for those of us in advanced stages of cataract development. I can barely see my Kindle; I have to keep blinking in order to zero in on the words.

So this surgery is a good thing, which makes me a lucky woman.

If I can write, I will. I am coping with a lot of Not Knowing, which is not my favorite thing. Who among us? After I have the first surgery I will better understand what is expected of me and what happens to my eyes. It is my hope, therefore, that I will feel less anxious about the second surgery. 

An additional concern is the matter of being anesthetized. For me that is rather a big deal. I don’t come back! Well, of course, eventually I do, but friends kind enough to pick me up after, say, an endoscopy or colonoscopy, have been sent home without me because I am still sprawled on the out patient couch or bed and couldn’t tell you my name if my life depended on it. Usually a nurse feeds me or wrestles me upwards to get me to drink apple juice. It’s not pretty. This vulnerability of mine adds to my stress.

Although with my last endoscopy I was given propofol and it was marvelous! Great dreams and I returned in a reasonably timely fashion, but I didn’t want to. I am telling you, terrible abuse, but Michael Jackson got the drug right. Unfortunately, no propofol for this surgery: I asked.

So we will see about the writing—quite literally. Don’t absolutely count me out, but blurred vision or anesthetic saturation may deter me temporarily from blogging.

If, when I post this, you find mistakes, I hope you will indulge me because I really cannot see the words very well.

Meanwhile, allow me to thank readers this week from many countries. I am so grateful to you all for reading Life Opening Up and would love to hear from you.

Russia this week, 72 of you! I am amazed. And readers from Ukraine, Germany, The United Kingdom, Portugal, Bermuda, Mexico, France and Poland,Australia, India and of course, the United States: readers whose fidelity to this blog awes me. Thank you.


Onward!

4 comments:

  1. Wishing all to be well on Wednesday. Love you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Selina. working to keep eczema under control so this can finally happen!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Cecily
    As a recent recipient of a fairly intense surgery I had been dreading, I want to send you positive thoughts & a deep understanding of your anticipation. I know that you will feel so much better on the other side of this. I too, have done one surgery, & now in mid February, face my second.
    The first was such an awesome experience & with such fantastic results.
    I share this with you to give you additional strength & courage!
    All the very best
    Zina

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Zina. I am so glad your hip replacement was such a success. I know this is nothing compared to that! I appreciate your encouragement and wish you a Happy and Healthy New Year!

      Delete

Please comment here on Cecily's blog entry...