Monday, January 20, 2014

Make Today Our Dancing Day




The Me Generations have something to teach those of us who remember WW11.

The experts tell us that the Me Generations---by that I mean everyone who has grown up with a TV remote in hand—don’t do well with delayed gratification. Accustomed to pushing the right buttons and immediately finding what they want, the Me Generations tend to want what they want, and fast.

Never mind that their yen for instant gratification may interfere with successfully setting long-term goals, the fact is that the Senior Medicare group has much to learn from them.

Let’s wise up. Rationally assessed, we don’t have all that much delay time to fool around with.

My thought is that if we are wishing for a reunion with family or friends, or if we always wanted a good black coat, to take lessons in French, start a blog, or to travel to Greece, we had better get going.

Trained well by my mother, I’ve spent my life saving dresses, coats, candlesticks, perfume, and jewelry, even nice napkins, “for best.”

 Let’s get real. How often does “best” show up? I am done with that. I’m using and wearing my “best” every chance I get.

 Some of us are old enough and wise enough to realize that we are not immortal, something I gave no thought to in my forties, my fifties, even my early sixties, but now I get it.

And the ultimate truth is that none of us at any age know exactly how long we will be in this world, so let’s grab onto NOW and make today our dancing day!


Note from cecily s:
Thank you  for reading Life Opening up! I am very grateful that you take the time out of what I know are busy lives to do so. My plan is generally to post on Mondays and Thursdays. On the other hand, something might come over me to write and then write I will, regardless of what day it is. My deepest thanks to you all.

2 comments:

  1. Connie sent me your blog site - I really enjoy reading your insights and feel this post is particularly "spot on". Thank you so much! Patti

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Patti, for reading Life Opening Up. I am grateful for your comments!

      Delete

Please comment here on Cecily's blog entry...