Thursday, May 8, 2014

Going Home--To Fight

Tuesday afternoon on WNYC I caught the tail end of an interview of a 23 year-old Ukrainian young man who told the interviewer that he was abandoning his very good job here in the US in order to go "home to fight."

"I don't want to kill anyone," he told the interviewer, "and I don't know how to fight, but I will for my country's independence."

The interviewer asked him about the Ukrainian soldiers who are fighting for Ukraine to belong to Russia. His response was that they are "afraid" and that they have been "brainwashed." 

"Ukraine must be independent," he told the interviewer.

When asked if he was afraid to die, the twenty-three year-old, said, "Yes".


If you were this young man's mother or father, I ask you, how would you feel right now?

I suggest: a stomach-churning mix of pride and terror.



***
Blog Business:

     If you have subscribed to Life Opening Up, the new delivery time via email will be between 7 and 9 AM on the day I post the blog.
      The subject line will read: Life Opening Up and then the title of the new post.
      You will find a few words from the post—which I hope will capture your interest-- and be asked to click on the post title to read the rest.

I hope this is an improvement for all of you who have been so patient about receiving the blog via email and that the more effective procedure will inspire others to subscribe.

Not Sure How to COMMENT?

1. Click on the article title. 
2. Scroll all the way down the page
3.  See “Post A Comment”, click on the box to begin typing your comment.
4.  Click on dropdown arrow to “Select A Profile”
5.  Choose “Name / URL”
6. Enter Your Name and click Publish

7. You may be asked to enter a verification code to complete this (so they know you’re not a robot!)




2 comments:

Please comment here on Cecily's blog entry...