Monday, June 2, 2014

How About Relaxing?


The other day at Pilates my teacher had me doing sit-ups. I sat on a long cushioned mat on which she placed what looked like half of a large, padded ball. I was instructed to slide my butt right up against the rim of the half-ball, to bend my knees and then lie back, draped over the firm but soft structure, thus opening my chest, neck and throat.

Get the picture? I realize that a “selfie” would be helpful here, but I have no photo of this event. Anyway, I was too busy bending backwards over that thing to take any pictures.

It was from this position that, with my arms clasped loosely behind my head, elbows slightly forward, I did what seemed like an endless number of sit–ups.

When she said, “last one!” I thought there is a God!  And, dropping my arms straight out from the sides of the mat, I allowed my knees to flop down flat, collapsing completely. My back was comfortably arched over the mounded padding.

“The best thing about exercising is letting go afterwards.” I exclaimed. “I’m really good at relaxing!” My teacher laughed. “Relaxing helps with exercise,” she said. “It helps with everything.”

I got to thinking about that.

We don’t have to be doing sit-ups at Pilates. Wherever we are, all day, every day, we are putting out effort—at our jobs, in our family life, in volunteer activities, negotiating traffic on I 95. 

Because in the U S. we are accustomed to maintaining a high level of activity, unlike with the sit-ups, we aren’t even aware of the effort we expend daily. We are, in fact, so strongly conditioned that when we go on vacation it often takes us a few precious days just to unwind: to actually be where we are, let go and enjoy ourselves.

  Let's get better at relaxing! Why not include relaxing in our daily routine? Relaxing matters. It is life sustaining.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please comment here on Cecily's blog entry...